“Architecture should speak of its time and place, but yearn for timelessness” - Frank Gehry

  Architecture… Some people say that architecture is just about buildings, but I think architecture is more of an art than anything else. But how can we define art? As my philosophy teacher would say: “art is not about an objective or a purpose, art is first of all the expression of something that the artist cannot transmit in another way than by art”. Architecture is like that too. It’s about showing the era you live in, showing people view the world, the techniques that you have, showing your knowledge,…


Following this idea, the architecture at Yale is very important. The campus is filled with old buildings or buildings that were made to look old. Their facades seem time-worn and they have this semi-gothic style. It’s also the case with the Sterling Library which looks really old but was built in 1931. Inside, in almost every available wood, stone, and plaster surface, is carved a design that will remind the viewer of the dignity and significance of learning in general and of libraries in particular. It’s also a very massive library with more than 4 million volumes with 16 levels of book stacks. 




For this post, our assignment was to choose one of Yale’s libraries and draw a part of it. I obviously choose the Sterling Library and more specifically the main room where a lot of students come to study in this beautiful architecture. It was a complicated drawing but I enjoyed the process of making it. Actually, it’s more of a sketch than a drawing and I like that. Sketches have this sense of spontaneity and quickness to them that I love.




Anyway, I hope you’ll like my sketch!

See ya! 🕺

Comments

  1. THIS IS MAGNIFICENT!!!! Thank you so much for affording this task so much of your beautiful and exceptional efforts - this thrills me as a teacher. I'm so happy you joined us, y'all! SHOW ALL YOUR FRIENDS!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment